What is the difference between counselling and therapy?
The main difference is that counselling tends to be over a shorter period and focuses on a specific issue, while therapy is longer term as it looks more deeply at core issues and involves going back to the past to explore early life experiences.
What happens in the first session?
The first appointment is where I get an idea of your world, what brings you to counselling and what you want to achieve. It is also an opportunity for you to ask me any questions you may have and to clarify anything that you’re uncertain of.
Importantly, at the end of the session you will know if you will be comfortable and at ease working with me and if we decide to go ahead we will discuss the practicalities of dates and times of sessions, details of fees and what happens if you need to cancel.
If this is your first time of seeing a therapist you may be feeling unsure of what is expected of you but there really is no right or wrong way to be ..........it's your session.
How long are the sessions?
A typical session is for an hour for individuals and ninety minutes for couples. Sessions are ideally on a weekly basis but I appreciate this isn’t always possible and so this is entirely up to you and is something that we will discuss and agree together at then end of the first session.
How many sessions will I need?
Everyone is different in what they need and want, with some clients wanting to have a finite number of sessions and some liking it to be open ended ………..and this is your choice and completely under your control.
How long will I have to wait for my first appointment?
I believe that when you are in crisis or have made the decision to see a counsellor you don't want to have to wait and so my aim is to offer you an appointment within a week of contact.
• I am fully trained and have many years experience.
• As a registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) I adhere to the high conduct and principles of good practice required by their code of ethics.
• All appointments made are strictly confidential.
• Payment for face to face sessions is by cash or bank transfer at the time of appointment. For online sessions payment is usually by bank transfer prior to the session.
• Cancelled appointments or missed sessions remain payable unless 48 hours notice is given.